Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Are you using too much soap?? Take the Challenge!!

I just came across a fabulous article about the overuse of soap!  The link to the full article is http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/your-money/13shortcuts.html.

Let me share a few tidbits:
We use too much soap in our dishwashers and washing machines!  Too much soap is actually ruining our appliances and our clothes.
As far as my dishwasher goes, I think I am fine with my homemade dishwasher detergent.  I am happy with my formula.  As far as my clothes go, I still haven't found the "perfect" laundry detergent.  My homemade laundry detergent is great for saving money, but I am finding myself supplementing it with other detergents to get my clothes cleaner and fresh smelling.  Maybe I just am using too much detergent, regardless of what kind.

He offered a simple test to determine whether you are indeed using too much laundry detergent. 
"Here is Mr. Schmidt’s test to determine if you’re oversoaping. Take four to six clean bath towels, put them in your front-loading washing machine (one towel for a top loader). Don’t add any detergent or fabric softener. Switch to the hot water setting and medium wash and run it for about five minutes.
Check for soap suds. If you don’t see any suds right away, turn off the machine and see if there is any soapy residue. If you see suds or residue, it is soap coming out of your clothes from the last wash.
“I’ve had customers that had to run their towels through as many as eight times to get the soap out,” Mr. Schmidt said, who lives in Indiana. He offers other handy advice on his Web site, refrigdoc.com."



So, here is the challenge at 2 Make Ends Meet....I am going to try this today and post my results in the comment section.  I would like you to try the same.  Wash your clean bath towels without soap and post your results in the comment section also.  This will be fun!!! Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

1 comments make me happy:

  1. I am shocked! I took 4 clean bath towels and put them through a wash cycle on my front loader without adding soap....the amount of suds that were created was incredible. I thought I better run it through another rinse cycle....even more suds! I guess I'm using too much soap! Now to figure out the correct amount....anyone else try???

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!