Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Snow-Top Chocolate Cookies

I haven't made these cookies for several years, but thought it was about time to do so again!

I love these cookies, and I think you will too!

The original recipe comes from an old (1991) Better Homes & Garden Christmas Cookie magazine.
Colleen Weeden is the lady whose name appeared with the original recipe. 

I have adapted it though, using butter and cocoa, instead of shortening and unsweetened chocolate squares.
(Note:  the cookies will spread out more, when using butter.)

Snow-Top Chocolate Cookies
*4 oz. unsweetened chocolate (I substitute 3 T. unsweetened cocoa + 1 T. oil per 1 oz. unsweetened bars)
*1/2 cup shortening (I use butter)
*3 beaten eggs
*2 cups sugar
*2 tsp. baking powder
*2 tsp. vanilla
*1/2 tsp. salt
*2 cups all-purpose flour
*2/3 cup sifted powdered sugar

Melt cocoa and butter over low heat, until melted.  Let cool 15 minutes.  Combine eggs, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.  Add chocolate mixture.  Gradually add flour, stirring until thoroughly combined.  Cover and chill for 2 hours, until easy to handle.  (If you can wait that long!!!  Doesn't it make you want to eat the batter!!!)



Roll dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll in powdered sugar to coat generously.




Place 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet.




Bake in a 375* oven for about 10 minutes, or until edges are just set.  Cool on a wire rack.






Enjoy!

This is linked to:
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesdays
A Southern Fairytale Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!