Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Creamy Chicken Rice Soup

Yesterday I was in the mood for Chicken Wild Rice Soup, but to my dismay I did not have any wild rice in the house.  I decided to look for a Chicken & Rice Soup recipe, but knew I wanted it to be a creamy version.  So, I found one from Taste of Home and used it as a "template".

It was delicious and the whole family ate it, without too much complaining!!!  That is always a plus!

Here is the link to the recipe at Taste of Home.

Here is how I made it...

Creamy Chicken Rice Soup
*1/2 cup chopped carrots
*approx. 1 T. dried minced onions (maybe a little too much)
*2 T. butter
*1/4 cup flour
*4 cups chicken broth (I used half broth I had in the freezer from turkey, and half broth made with chicken bouillon and water)
*2 cups brown rice (I had Minute Rice on hand...worked just fine)
*2 cups chopped cooked chicken
*1/2 tsp. kosher salt
*1/4 tsp. pepper
*1 cup milk

Melt butter in a large sauce pan on medium high heat.  Saute chopped carrots and onions in the butter.  Turn down heat a little and add the flour and mix until combined.  Slowly add the broth.  This will thicken a lot.  Add the rice, chicken, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Turn down to low and simmer for at least 15 minutes.  (Mine simmered for probably 45 minutes and was wonderful.)  Stir in the milk and heat until hot.  It does not need to boil.  When serving, add salt and pepper to taste.



Enjoy!!!


Check out other great recipes at:
Tasty Tuesdays
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday
Mouthwatering Mondays
5 Dollar Dinner Challenge
Delicious Dishes Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!