Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rice and Bean Burritos--What's On Your Plate?

One of my favorite blogs that I read is Good Cheap Eats.  On Wednesdays, Jessica offers a "What's On Your Plate?" post.  She challenges her readers to think about healthy, inexpensive, easy meals for your families.  I love to read her ideas, because some times I think meals need to be more involved than they really need to be.

We had one of those cheap, simple, but good meals last evening that I thought I might as well share with all of you.

Yesterday was a very busy day for me, as it was our first day of the homeschool co-op.  Not only does my 4th grader attend as a student, but I have been one of the teachers for years!  I love teaching science to these K-3rd graders!  I even taught at this co-op before my children were even school-age.  Maybe a story for another day....

Anyway, I had planned on getting brown rice started in my crock pot before I left home.  I realized too late, and thought, "oh well, I will just make white rice on the stove top after the soccer game."  You see, I had to go straight from teaching to my middle son's first soccer game.

After a disappointing loss, we all came home.  Tired and famished, I had to feed this hungry bunch....especially before they started filling up on treats!

So, I made a pot of white rice.  I heated the black beans (that came out of a can).  I warmed the tortillas, and gathered the sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and the salsa.  My oldest asked if we had lettuce (which I usually forget) and after grabbing the lettuce bag we all sat down for dinner. Yay! Even my husband had left work early to watch the second half of the soccer game.  I cherish the evenings that a family dinner actually occurs!  :)

Sorry, no pictures....we were too busy eating and enjoying our time together!  :)

Most everyone likes several of the ingredients when I make rice and bean burritos.  Some of my boys prefer to eat the rice on the side, or the beans on the side.  I don't mind, as long as they eat it.

This is a "good cheap eat", at my house.  It is even more frugal, when I buy dried black beans and make those ahead of time and freeze.  But canned black beans is a great pantry resource to have on hand.

How about you?  What are some Good Cheap Eats at your house? Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!