Friday, November 13, 2009

Hot Cocoa Mix

If you are a hot chocolate lover, here is a frugal recipe I found in Good Housekeeping (Jan. 2009).  I am finally getting around to making it and it is very good.  It is VERY rich as they make it.  We have found that we can use a heaping tablespoon per cup of milk and it is enough chocolate!  (That makes it even CHEAPER to make!  Yay!)
Hot Cocoa Mix
*1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
*1 1/4 c. sugar
*1/4 tsp. salt
*6 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used mini chocolate chips)

In food processor, with knife blade attached, blend cocoa, sugar, chocolate, and salt until almost smooth.  Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature up to 6 months.  Makes about 3 1/2 cups.
To make:  Place 3 T. cocoa mix in a mug with 1 cup milk.  Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until hot. Stir until blended.  Add a little whipped cream, if desired.

Like I said, we thought 3 T. was WAY too rich!  Let me know what you think.

Here are some variations to try:
Mocha:  add 1/3 c. instant coffee powder or granules before blending....
Mexican Spice:  add 2 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper before blending....
Vanilla:  add 1/2 vanilla bean (pod and seeds) before blending....
I would LOVE your feedback!!!  :) Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!