Friday, March 26, 2010

Super-Easy Chicken Enchilada Skillet

Well, I have a problem.....I hoard recipes!   Do you have this problem too?  Little by little, however, I am trying to sort through all of the recipes I have clipped from the newspaper, ripped out of magazines and printed from the internet.  I used to get the Food and Family magazine from Kraft Foods too.  They don't send it to me anymore, but I have a pile of them just waiting to be looked at again!
SO....I have successfully gone through a good chunk of my stash of recipes and I prepared one of them for dinner last evening.  To my delight, EVERYONE in my family really liked it!!!!!  :)  My middle son took one bite and said, "I give this a 5!"  Yay!!!!!  You see, we have a rating system in our house, that I maybe have mentioned before.  When I try a new recipe, my family can give me honest feedback by rating it 1 star (please don't make this again) to 5 stars (I love it).  So hearing, "I give it a 5", is music to this mother's ears!

Here is the original recipe from Kraft's Food and Family magazine (Holiday 2006 issue--I told you I hoard recipes!) and the picture from their website:

Super-Easy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
 I changed the original recipe a bit....this is how I made it.  (This was 1/2 a recipe.)
*Turkey breast, cooked and cubed, approx. 2 cups
*8 oz. turkey broth
*2 T. ranch dressing
*1 T. flour
*3 flour tortillas, cut into small pieces
*1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese (approx. because I grabbed a handful & sprinkled it on top!)
*1/4 cup salsa (didn't have because I didn't realize my family had eaten it already!!!)

Place turkey in deep skillet.  (My turkey was frozen, so I heated it on medium heat, while I mixed the broth.) In a separate container, mix broth, dressing and the flour until well blended.  Gradually add this to the turkey in the skillet, stirring constantly.  Add tortilla pieces, and stir to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 3 minutes until heated through and thickened.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and simmer 3 - 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.  Top with salsa, if desired.  Makes 5 small servings.  Original recipe is double these amounts, and I will make it that way next time, so we can have seconds!!!  :)

This recipe was a great way to use leftovers too.  The turkey and broth were in my freezer from the BOGO free turkey breast I bought at Byerlys a while back, so it is almost like it was FREE!!!  The other ingredients are items I usually have on hand too, so it was super easy to assemble!!

This post is linked to *$5 Dollar Dinners 
*Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
*BlessedwithGrace.
*Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments make me happy:

  1. I can't have flour tortillas, but I might try it with corn tortillas. It looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. I think I will try it tonight. Thanks for sharing. I am also a recipe "hoarder" my computer desk is always covered in printed recipes. :) I'm glad I'm not alone! I also grade my recipes with A,B,C,D or F. If it is from one of my cookbooks I write the grade on the page. That way I won't try the bad ones again! I have started putting the good ones I have clipped and printed in page protectors in a 3 ring binder. It has worked well for me so far. I found your blog from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I thought about corn tortillas....just didn't have any on hand...great idea! Maybe even tortilla chips??? :)

    Julie, I'm glad you're a hoarder too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect recipes too - and cookbooks! Glad you saved this one- it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great recipe! With things I usually have on hand too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I hoard up recipes too!

    But I'd love to make this one soon. We love mexican food! And skillet meals are so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my kind of dish! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!