Tuesday, May 18, 2010

On-the-Go Italian Scones

This was totally an experiment!!!!  I think it will be a recipe though, that I will enjoy adjusting with different ingredients.  My inspiration came from Family Fun magazine's recipe for Pizza Scones.  I loved the idea because it is more on-the-go food for our busy baseball season.  I wanted to give it a try.  When I read the ingredients for the pizza scones, I wondered if my Very Easy Scones recipe would work for the base.  I love my recipe, because it has less ingredients and uses canola oil instead of butter.  Then, I thought, since I am using italian seasonings, why not use olive oil instead of canola oil!!!  Even better for you!!!  :)  This is what I came up with....

On-the-Go Italian Scones
*2 c. flour
*2 tsp. (heaping) baking powder
*1 T. oregano
*1/2 tsp. basil
*1/4 tsp. kosher salt
*1 cup shredded cheese (I used half cheddar/half mozzarella)
*1/3 c. olive oil (gives a very distinct flavor, you could use canola oil)
*2/3 c. milk
(Optional ingredients to add:  chopped up pepperoni, sun-dried tomatoes...)
Preheat oven to 400*F.  Grease cookie sheet.  Mix dry ingredients.  Add shredded cheese.  Mix oil and milk.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir until moistened.  Turn onto a floured board, or use a little corn meal, if you have on hand.  Knead into a ball, and then form into a flattened circle, about an inch thick.  Cut into 8 - 12 wedges, depending on the size you would like to make.  Place wedges on cookie sheet.  Bake at 400* for approx. 13 - 15 minutes.  The time will vary depending on the thickness of your scones.  Bake until a light golden brown.


As usual, I had mixed reviews at home.  But, as long as, a few liked them, I consider them worth making again.  One of these days, I will make the Family Fun version too, just to compare. 

This post is linked to:
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
$5 Dollar Dinner Challenge
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday 
A Southern Fairytale Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!