Wednesday, May 12, 2010

On-the-Go Snack Mix...Frugal too!

In my quest for on-the-go meals to have on hand for sports nights, I remembered something that I use to always bring along with me in the days of carrying a diaper bag (those days seem like sooo long ago)!  I always had some snack along, in case hunger struck the little ones, or me, for that matter!  Since I have the pleasure of only having to carry my purse wherever I go, I had forgotten about the wonderful little snack mixes I used to make....a lot!
This is a great idea for eating on the go, and you can create endless varieties.  I am referring to make your own snack mixes, using cereals, nuts, pretzels, raisins, you name it....it is also a great way to use up the last little bit of cereal in each box.  (For some reason, we have about 6 boxes of cereal in the cupboard, with about a 1/2 cup of cereal in each....but I'm off topic now....)
This will be great a great on-the-go snack for going to the games, for the fans watching the games, and for some nourishment on the way home from the games....I better make a BIG batch!!!

On-the-Go Snack Mix
*1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios (Oatmeal Squares, any Chex cereals, Fruit Loops for a special treat, cereals that aren't too fragile...)
*1 cup Mini pretzels, or pretzel sticks
*1 cup Raisins (or other dried fruit...banana chips, apricots, pineapples)
*1/2 cup Chocolate chips (in colder weather), or 1 cup M&Ms (any variety)
*1 cup Almonds, peanuts or any nuts...unless there are allergies in your family
*1 cup mini marshmallows
Of course, choose ingredients that your children will enjoy.  Sometimes I have found they might not like a cereal with milk, but they love it in the snack mix.  (The added treats seem to help them eat all of the mix also.)
The amounts don't have to be this specific...I sometimes just "eyeball it" and put together a mix that looks good! 
Place the mixture in a large airtight container or ziploc bag.  Another idea is to place individual portions into snack bags and store them in a large container to grab on-the-go!  These are so much cheaper than buying snack mixes!!!
Enjoy!

Do you have any other ingredients that you add to your on-the-go snack mixes at your house?  We would love to hear about them! Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments make me happy:

  1. I love the take along snack ideas. But I don't bring nuts out for public comsumption. A Peanut allergy can be so severe that one need only be in the presence of a peanut... they dont' necessairly need to touch it or ingest it. You child can be happily snacking on peanuts causing another child down wind a life threatening allergic reaction. Just being around someone eating nuts can send another child to the emergency room... or worse. It's a severe life threatening allergy. I'd LOVE to see snack mixed cut out peanuts and other nuts so other children can enjoy public places like a siblings soccer game without a trip in the ambulance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Suzie, for your insight. It is so true that there are many children with life threatening peanut allergies.
    Any ideas for adding protein to the snack mix without nuts??? That is really the only reason I think of adding nuts, for the health benefits of protein and other nutrients.
    Thank you for writing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!