Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies--from Eat Better America

I love getting recipes from Eat Better America.  I received an e-mail from them yesterday morning and had to try this recipe for Oatmeal Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies before the day ended.  Very nummy!  AND good for you.  I have written about Eat Better America before, because they take familiar recipes and "healthify" them.  I always think it's a great idea to make a recipe a little healthier, as long as it doesn't take away from the taste.  Now, I had never tried the original recipe for this breakfast cookie, but I would have no need to, as the "healthified" version is fabulous on it's own.

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies
Prep Time:20 min
Start to Finish:50 min
makes:12 Servings

Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 large)
1/2 cup chunky natural peanut butter (unsalted and unsweetened)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins

1  Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat two cookie sheets with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, milk powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture until combined. Stir in dried cranberries.
2  Using a ¼-cup measure, drop mounds of dough 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. With a thin metal or small plastic spatula dipped in water, flatten and spread each mound of dough to a 2¾-inch round, about ½ inch thick.
3  Bake, one sheet at a time, for 14 to 16 minutes or until browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months; thaw before serving.
***I made the recipe, just as stated, with one minor adjustment.  I did not have raisins or craisins on hand.  I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead.  (Okay, so that part isn't "healthified", but nobody complained. ;))  I also made most of the cookies smaller, as I would rather have a couple smaller cookies than one big one.
Enjoy!!
For a printer-friendly version, click here. Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!