Thursday, January 14, 2010

Kefir (or Buttermilk) Whole Wheat Bread

I have another success story to share with you about uses for my homemade kefir!!!!  Yay!!  I wanted to see how it would work in homemade bread.  I gave it a try and am very pleased with the results!!!  I plan on making some more today!  Yum!!

Kefir Whole Wheat Bread

1 cup kefir, warmed slightly
2 T. white sugar*
2 tsp. yeast
1/4 cup melted butter*
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
(*if using kefir or buttermilk, add 1/4 tsp. baking soda, to cut down on sour taste from either of these)

Place kefir, sugar and yeast into bread machine.  Stir and let sit for 10 minutes to dissolve yeast and sugar.  Add melted butter, flour and salt.  Set to dough cycle and start.  I added a small amount of water as the dough was mixing, because it seemed a little dry.  (Check your bread maker instructions for help with this, if you need it.)  When the machine is done, remove from pan and knead a few times.  Shape into loaf and place in a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool.

This bread was so soft and wonderful.  It had a very smooth texture to it.  Even after a few days (can't believe it lasted that long!!!  Half of it was gone in the first half hour of it being done!!!!  My hungry boys devoured it!!!  :)) it is still soft.  The crust was soft too, and easy to slice.  

*I was out of canola oil when I made this the other day.  I will try to use canola oil today, instead of melted butter, for a healthier choice.  I will also try using brown sugar today.  Oooohhh, honey might be good in place of that, then it would be Kefir Honey Wheat Bread!!!!  Oh, the possibilities!!!

Enjoy!!!! Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!