Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Garden Overflowing???? Make Salsa!!!

Is your garden overflowing with tomatoes??

Here is an easy, and tasty Freezer Salsa recipe that I found a year or so ago.  It is a GREAT way to take your garden (over)abundance and put it to good use.  I like it too, because you can easily double, triple, or quadruple it to make a HUGE amount and freeze it.  I never knew you could freeze salsa....you can!  :)

Freezer Salsa (original recipe here)
*4 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and cubed (or 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes, if you don't have fresh someday)
*1 medium onion, diced fine (or dried minced onion, reconstituted)
*3T. fresh lime juice (or 1 fresh lime, juiced)
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*5 jalapenos or serrano peppers, minced & seeded (I use one large red pepper from the neighbor) :)
*2 - 3 oz. fresh cilantro, washed and chopped (or dried parsley)
*2 tsp. salt
*If using crushed tomatoes, add 1/3 c. water


Place cubed tomatoes in a large saucepan.  Crush the tomatoes.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer until desired consistency (at least 30 minutes).  Keep crushing tomatoes as they are simmering.  Divide into jars or containers.  Freeze salsa, or refrigerate for 24 hours to allow flavors to blend before serving.  (IF you can wait that long!  I eat it warm sometimes!  LOL!)

Makes 1 1/2 pt.


This post is linked to:

Tasty Tuesdays
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
$5 Dollar Dinner Challenge
Mouthwatering Mondays



Speaking of chips and salsa.... if you haven't signed up for the Chili's Email Club Program that I mentioned earlier this month, you might want to do so and treat yourself to some FREE Chips and Queso on your first visit.  Your reward just for signing up. 

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments make me happy:

  1. I love fresh salsa but don't make it often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog today from the Tasty Tuesday link. Had to share that I'm also a homeschooling mom of 3 boys living on one income and trying to make ends meet! Just wanted to say hi! I look forward to checking out your older posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!