Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam

I love homemade raspberry jam!!!  I love growing raspberries in our backyard!

But, this year, I made a BIG mistake!!!

Life was SO busy when the raspberries were ripening....baseball, running kids here and there, getting our roof replaced after hail/wind damage, baseball, and did I mention baseball????  LOL!

Anyway, I would pick my raspberries and place them in a container in the refrigerator.  Each day I would add some more thinking, "I really need to do something with these soon..."

I really was waiting until I had enough to make my homemade raspberry jam....

well, sadly, and I even hate to admit it....the raspberries started to spoil and get rotten!!!!  I managed to save some that were on the top of the container but....

I had to THROW the majority down the garbage disposal!!!!!!

You have NO idea how sad and disappointed I was with myself.  :(

So, I learned a valuable lesson that day.  Either use the raspberries within a few days OR freeze them for use later!

I was thankful when I went to the grocery store not too long after and found 3 containers for $5 of strawberries!  I wasn't thinking about jam when I bought them, but after getting home I decided I could use 2 of the containers for strawberry jam!  Yay!


Here is the simple recipe for Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam (from box of Sure-Jell):

*4 cups strawberries, crushed (2 packages made this amount)
*1 box of SURE-JELL FOR LESS OR NO SUGAR NEEDED RECIPES (or other fruit pectin)
*3 cups sugar
*1 cup water

Crush strawberries in bowl.  

I used my food processor, but don't overprocess.  A few chunks are fine. 

Mix the sugar, pectin and water in a saucepan on medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil for 1 minute.
Remove the pectin mixture from the heat and add the strawberries to it.  


Mix until well blended.
Immediately pour "jam" into containers.  Leave a 1/2 inch space at the top of each container. 

Cover tightly.  Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.  Place in the refrigerator, or in the freezer.

Enjoy!  :)  

So, all in all even store bought fruit, will work for me!  :) 

This post is linked to Works for Me Wednesday, and The Ultimate Recipe Swap, where this week she is featuring berry recipes!  Yum!  

If you don't already, you may subscribe to daily updates from 2 Make Ends Meet, if you are interested.  Thank you!  You can also find extra updates and content from me on Facebook and Twitter. Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!