Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Works for Me Wednesday...no more brown sliced apples!

It's apple season!  What a beautiful time of the year!  Sunshiny days, and cool nights make the apples grow...



I thought I would share a little tip that I learned from my mom. 

If you are slicing apples to be consumed later (child's lunch, fruit salad, etc.) toss them in a little lemon juice, orange juice, any citrus fruit juice will work. 

That is maybe nothing new to any of you...but here is the fun little tip...even Sprite, Sierra Mist, 7-Up and generic lemon-lime soda will work! 

It is the ascorbic acid in the juice that will prevent the apples from browning once they are exposed to the air.  Since all of those citrus juices, and including Sprite, Sierra Mist, 7-Up, etc. have ascorbic acid in them, they prevent (or at least slow down) the browning.

Here is the proof, after only about 15 minutes.
Apples without a "lemon juice bath" (already starting to brown):




 Apples with the "lemon juice bath" (have stayed nice and white):


Give it a try, the next time you are slicing your apples!

That's a tip that Works For Me.  Visit other "Fall Tips" at We are THAT Family. Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

1 comments make me happy:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!