Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Frugal Mini Popovers

Last night I decided to use the cubed turkey leftover from the BOGO free turkey breast that I bought at Byerlys.  I used my friend's recipe for Turkey (or chicken) ala King.  You are to serve it with mini pastry puffs or popovers.  I love Betty Crocker's recipe for popovers, so I thought I would make those (plus I didn't have mini pastry puffs).  Making your own popovers is so inexpensive.  I don't have a popover, so I was able to make 6 medium size popovers in a muffin tin and had enough batter leftover to fill my mini muffin tin.  I wasn't quite sure how long to bake them, but it seemed to turn out just right.  I baked the larger popovers in the oven, and baked the mini ones in my toaster oven!  :)

Here is the recipe from Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Cookbook:
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
Heat oven to 450*.  Grease 6-cup popover pan or six 6 oz. custard cups generously (I used the muffin tin).  Beat eggs slightly in medium bowl.  Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth (do not overbeat).  Fill cups about half full.  Bake 20 minutes.  Decrease oven temperature to 350* and bake 20 minutes longer or until a deep golden brown.  Remove from pan or cups immediately and serve hot.
For the mini popovers, I baked them in the toaster oven at 450* for 10-12 min.  I turned down the temperature to 350*, turned the pan around and only had to bake them about 2-3 minutes longer, until they were golden brown.  I was very pleased with the minis, but was frustrated because my medium popovers STUCK to my pan! I think I need to get rid of that pan, and buy a non-stick popover pan!!!  LOL!! Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments make me happy:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!