Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Easy Ice Cream Cake with Hot Fudge Topping

I love ice cream cake.  I don't mean the kind that has a plain cake layered with ice cream.  I mean the kind that has ice cream with a crust on the bottom!  :)

This is the recipe that I made for my oldest's 14th birthday in July.  It is the cake that my boys often request.  The recipe comes from a good old-fashioned church cookbook.  Actually it was a book called "Twin Cities Covenant Women" (1980) that featured many congregations, so I don't even know the dear lady that took the time to put this recipe in the book.  Her name is Mrs. Norman Engman, and I'm sure she would be quite happy that I have enjoyed her recipe over and over!  She calls the recipe, Buster Bar Dessert, but since my boys don't want the peanuts in it, I just call it Ice Cream Cake!  LOL!

Ice Cream Cake

1 package crushed Oreos
1/2 c. butter, melted
Process the whole oreos in a food processor.  (If you want to remove the filling you can, but it is much easier to use the whole cookie.)  Mix the crushed cookies with the melted butter, and press in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Freeze.

Spread 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream over frozen cookie mixture.  If desired, top with 1 1/2 cups salted spanish peanuts.  Freeze again.

Melt 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Add 1 can evaporated milk, 1/2 c. butter, and 2 c. powdered sugar.  Boil this mixture for 8 minutes, while stirring.

Cool and pour on the frozen ice cream.  Return to freezer for several hours.

***I usually don't pour all of the fudge sauce on the cake.  You could half the recipe or just save it for topping to use later.  It makes a HUGE portion of sauce. 

You could very easily substitute any flavor of ice cream for the vanilla, or do 2 kinds of ice cream.  The possibilities are endless!  :)

Forgive the glaring candles....he's getting old, you know!  :)

This post is linked to:

$5 Dollar Dinner Challenge
Tempt my Tummy Tuesday
Tasty Tuesdays Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

1 comments make me happy:

  1. Mmmmm Mmmmmm Mmmmmm... this looks SO good! I will definitely be giving this a try soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I always enjoy hearing from my readers! :)

Free Money at FusionCash!